WARNING:

This is not a paper I would turn into grad school that was proofread, spell checked, and cared about but never or barely read. This is a blog that people will actually read but not grade. I write like I think and talk, which is not organized or correct in many ways. I was diagnosed with chronic sarcasm as a child, its genetic.

The views expressed on this website are entirely my own and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Friday, May 25, 2012

GIMMEEEE!!!!!!


May 11 2012

Donation list:

So, my mom will be here at the end of June (HOLLER!) and I figure this is a perfect opportunity for her to bring stuff to my site that people want to donate. Over the last year a lot of people have asked how they can help- and now is the time! J

As most of you know at my last site my most exciting and successful program was a girls club. Because an after school program focusing on health education, female empowerment, HIV prevention, and decrease in risky behaviour is in great need and is something I can do as a secondary project, I have started a new girls club but also expand it to two separate age groups, both from the secondary school. This means I need more supplies and ideas for activities.

Groups will meet once per week for about 2 hours and lessons will vary with a main emphasis on HIV education/prevention and female empowerment. I found the girls loved doing any type of arts & craft, and the first time they used paint was beyond exciting! Arts and crafts allowed for lessons to be fun and interactive, and let the girls express themselves, when they would otherwise be very boring.

The first week of September four other PCVs and I are hosting a camp for the girls, each of us will bring about 8 girls for a week full of awesomeness.

MONEY!

Money is not always exciting to give, but it is the best and easiest way you can help. The money you donate will go directly to funding a girl from my community to go to camp. This is also a great option for those of you who are not in Michigan and wouldn’t be able to get supplies to my mom.

How to donate: That is a great question, I am in the process of setting up a account on PayPal where you can directly donate using debit or credit… but that is not ready yet. All money donated will go directly to sponsoring a girl for the Camp. More details to come J



Arts & Crafts

·         Tie die (for 60 shirts)

·         Paper

·         Paint

·         Paint brushes

·         Old magazines

·         Crayons/markers/coloured pencils

·         Colouring books

·         Beads/jewellery making tools/materials



School supplies

·         Notebooks

·         Pencils

·         Pens

·         Erasers

Office supplies

·         Pens

·         Permanent markers



Books

·         Kindergarten – grade 12 (English as a second language)

·         And material to help teach English and reading



Garden

·         Seeds (cabbage, beetroot, green beans, green pepper, any legume, onion, spinach, carrots)

Toothbrushes/toothpaste

·         Any and all will help!

Shirts/screen print

·         This would be for the camp; we want to have t shirts made for the participants. If anyone has the hook up with getting shirts and/or screen printing donated or discounted we could have them made at home- and when I visit home in September I would get them and bring them back. It would be about 50 shirts with screen prints, so in order to make the transport worth it I would need it to be cheap cheap (ei, free or significantly discounted).

Other stuff (this may or may not be just for me…sorry for not sorry)

·         Crystal light/drink mixes (esp gatorade/powerade)

·         Coffee (I got a French press! So I can have real coffee!)

·         Healthy protein-ish bars (luna, cliff, mojo)

·         New music

·         American-ish candy to share with my families



·         T-shirts/baseball caps that are anything American (sport teams/universities) to give host families (3 babies, 2 ten yr old boys, 15 yr old boy, 15 yr old girl, 2 10-12 ish girls, 1 old man, 3 women 30-60)



·         Games, cards/board games, but would need to be small for travel purposes



Most of these supplies will be for children at the Drop In Centre (DIC), there are about 60 kids ages 5-18. I would use these supplies for the office, the DIC, and my girls clubs. If you have a preference of what your donation is for please let me know and I will do my best to respect your wishes.

All is well here! Just got back from an amazing vacation with Krystle and excited to be back at work! :) Any and all help will help!! Please look forward to more specific updates!
peace
sami

No comments:

Post a Comment